Can My Employer Make Me Pay for My Uniform?

Generally speaking, employers can require employees to dress in a particular way. This includes wearing a uniform, as long as those requirements aren’t discriminatory or illegal.

Uniform Deductions and Minimum Wage

Federal employment law allows employers to deduct the cost of supplying and maintaining a work uniform from an employee’s paycheck.

However, the employee’s wages after the cost of the uniform cannot fall below the minimum wage. Thus, if you earn only the minimum wage, your employer cannot require you to pay for a uniform.

Uniform Requirements and Discrimination Law

California employers may not prohibit female employees from wearing pants. So, a uniform requirement that requires dresses or skirts for female employees is considered illegal as gender discrimination.

Also, a uniform that is hard for an employee with a disability to wear and take off may have to modified.

David Payab, Esq. from The Law Offices of Payab & Associates can be reached @ (818) 918-5522 or by visiting

Additional Reading


Awards &

  • martindale
  • Client Distinction
    Client Distinction

Why Choose Payab & Associates

  • Over 20 years of legal experience
  • Recipient of “People Love US” on Yelp for 3 years
  • Over 600 five-star reviews on Yelp, Google & Avvo
  • Rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau
  • Tens of Millions of dollars recovered for our clients
  • No fees or costs unless we recover money for you
  • We speak Spanish

Client Testimonials

  • The Law Office of Payab & Associates Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
  • The Law Office of Payab & Associates Going with David for help was the best thing I could have done.
  • The Law Office of Payab & Associates I highly recommend Payab and Associates.
  • The Law Office of Payab & Associates There are no words to express my appreciation.
  • The Law Office of Payab & Associates I felt well represented with Mr. Payab as my attorney.
  • The Law Office of Payab & Associates It was really a pleasure having him as my attorney and I greatly recommend him.
Prev Next

Do You Have A Case?

Call (818) 918-5522 or fill out the form below. Se habla español.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.