AS AN EMPLOYEE, WHAT TYPES OF RECORDS IN MY PERSONNEL FILE AM I ENTITLED TO SEE?
California law provides that current and former employees (or a representative of the current and former employee) have the right to inspect and receive a copy of the personnel files and records that relate to the employee’s performance or to any grievance concerning the employee.
Categories of records that are generally considered to be “personnel records” are those that are used or have been used to determine an employee’s qualifications for promotion, additional compensation, or disciplinary action, including termination.
The following are some examples of “personnel records”:
– Application for employment
– Payroll authorization form
– Notices of commendation, warning, discipline, and termination
– Notices of layoff, leave of absence, and vacation
– Notices of wage attachment or garnishment
– Education and training notices and records
– Performance appraisals/reviews
– Attendance records
David Payab, Esq. from The Law Offices of Payab & Associates can be reached @ (818) 918-5522 or by visiting http://payablaw.com/